Barking Dog Complaints

Is there anything I can do if there is a barking dog disturbing my neighborhood?

The Salinas Municipal Code 5-12.02 states it shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or negligently make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, or permit or allow to be made or continued any noise which disturbs the peace and quiet of any neighborhood or which causes any discomfort or annoyance to a reasonable person of normal sensitivity in the area.

If speaking to your neighbor doesn’t help, call Animal Services at (831) 769-8850, or after hours at (831) 758-7321. We will ask you to provide your information for our records only. Animal Services no longer accepts anonymous complaints.

In situations that cannot wait for the next day and you are willing to press charges you may call the police department for assistance. If you decide to call the police, use the non-emergency number, (831) 758-7321, and not 911. When you call the police you will be asked several things. In addition to getting your name, address and telephone number the person you talk to will also ask you if you are willing to press charges or if you are willing to speak with an officer directly. We recommend that you provide the dispatcher with your name, address and telephone number even if you do not want to press charges or be contacted. This will help us if other calls are received about the same barking dog.

What can I do to keep my dog from barking and disturbing my neighbors?

Barking is your dog’s way of sending you a distress signal. Somewhere his needs as an animal are not being met. Most times, excessive barking is caused by the dog being lonely, bored, frustrated or frightened. Are you walking with him every day, which exercises his body and his mind? Is he living a balanced life? If nuisance barking is a problem, consider these issues to find a solution. It’s the best way to show real love for your dog. A well-exercised, happy dog is more likely to sleep all day while you are not home.

For more information please visit the Hitchcock Road Animal Services or the City of Salinas Animal Services websites.