Alcohol Regulations

Can I drink alcohol while walking down a City street in Salinas?

No, it is illegal to drink any beverage that contains alcohol while on public property. The Salinas Municipal Code Section (21-2)  states that, “No person shall drink any beer, wine or other intoxicating beverage on any public street, sidewalk, alley, highway, plaza parkway, parking lot, airport terminal, or bus or train depot in the City.” If you are found by an officer in violation of this ordinance you are subject to a citation and a fine.

I am planning a picnic at a City park. Is it legal to have alcoholic beverages present?

It depends on the location. The Salinas Municipal Code Section (21-2)  makes it illegal to possess alcohol in any city park except the following:
• If a permit is obtained through the Recreation-Park Department  alcohol may be consumed at the Salinas Rodeo Grounds, Salinas Municipal Stadium, Sherwood Hall and Park.
• Alcohol may also be consumed at other city recreational buildings or facilities if allowed by the operating permit or policies for the use of the building or facility.
• If you decide to obtain a permit from the Recreation-Park Department  then you may also be required to obtain a permit from the California Alcohol and Beverage Control Department  and the California State Franchise Board  depending on the circumstances.
• If you are contacted by an officer in a city park and you are found to be in violation of the ordinance you are subject to a citation and fine.

I would like to have a party at my house and serve alcohol. Is this legal?

Again, the answer to this question is that it depends on the circumstances. If you are over 21 years old and have a party that does not require an admission fee and minors under the age of 21 years old are not allowed to drink alcohol than it is legal. However, if you charge a fee for the alcohol or an entrance fee you are required to obtain permits issued by the City of Salinas and the State of California. If you allow minors, under the age of 21, to consume any alcohol at a party, or other social gathering, you are subject to an arrest or citation for a variety of charges including; contributing to the delinquency of minors, furnishing alcohol to minors and hosting a social gathering where alcohol is possessed by minors.

Is it legal for a minor to drink a beer inside a friend’s house?

No. The Salinas Municipal Code Section (21-1)  states that, “No person under the age of 21 years shall have in his or her possession, or consume, any alcoholic beverage at an place not open to the public.” Also, it is a violation the California Business and Professions Code, 25662(a)  for a minor, under the age of 21, to possess any alcoholic beverage in any place open to the public. There are also specific violations of the California Vehicle Code  for possession of alcohol in a motor vehicle.